Monday, February 2, 2015

the roadtrip: part 1



You know the saying “it lives up to it’s name”? this totally applies to the grand canyon and I don’t even care how cliché that is!!! We went to the west side where the new skywalk is. disclaimer: I am absolutely and completely terrified of going over bridges, if we drive over one in a car I duck my head between my knees, hold my breath and plead, not pray. But, I figured, maybe I’ll be fine on the 4000ft above the ground glass bridge since we would be walking. We took the bus up to eagle point and immediately were impressed by the horseshoe overhang ahead of us. We looked around first and went to the edges to get used to the height before taking on the skywalk. (mom, you may want to skip over these pictures due to dad being ever so close to the edge)




Apparently, no one has ever fallen into the canyon on this side……suuuuurrreeeee. We proved that to be true at least! Walking up to the bridge we had to put on some socks, there it goes, my stomach fell to my feet and I (the girl who really doesn’t sweat much) began sweating through my jacket. Deep breath, I stepped out.

In one of my classes at master’s we watched a documentary about this group of guys who went through various parts of the canyon showing how it was proof of the flood. After watching that movie, all I wanted to do was see it for myself. Laying my eyes to the floor below through the glass, there was no denying this. You should totally watch it sometime, it’s nerdy and awesome and will make you want to tell everyone who is at the canyon with you how God made this happen, all of this.

There were three stops for our little canyon tour. The first was a sort of cheesy western town where I got thrown in jail and had to sing to get out. 

The second stop was the skywalk, which you can read about already up there. If you feel like this paragraph is too short for your reading desires…go up.



The third was a kind of hiking spot. While everyone had on hiking shoes, my trusty birks did the job. Granny sandals for the win!






We got to have lunch here and I hope you enjoy the name as much as I did….don’t worry it seemed clean and we ate chicken….



“great food, no atmosphere!” –classic dad jokes



so, I forgot to mention how the gas light came on during our drive off the freeway to the hour to hour and a half drive to the canyon without any gas stations for the next maybe 75 miles. Life’s short, take risks!....right?

well we got to the freeway and our gas meter said we had about 60 miles till empty, done, easy, there was a big town coming up around then. Until, 10 miles down the road it went to 29…then ----, flatline. Looking at our phones the next gas station was 30 miles away….insert the scared emoji face here.

We we’re pushing it, not legitimately but basically, every time we were going downhill the car was in neutral, we basically pulled into a gas station right as it was sputtering out. I hate that feeling, when it feels like the car is just giving up on you….i ran out of gas once in my life and haven’t since then. I ran out of gas in the middle of a major road in our town and the cops had to come push it to the side and clock a lane till AAA came….so embarrassing.

From golden valley it was the long haul to Tucson, Arizona. We got to drive past the super bowl, exciting stuff you know. We hauled past it as the game was ending and traffic was about to be worse than LA at rush hour.

We made it to our hotel (which was another resort, you rock hotwire and mom who was behind the hotwire booking) at 11 pm and were in bed by 12…only to have to wake up and leave again around 8 am….thank you Lord for coffee and lots of it.

1 comment:

  1. So wish there was a video of you singing for your bail! And God is definitely working on my fear of heights; stomach did just a little flip on the picture of dad 😃

    ReplyDelete